opticks pdb sourcecode building in windows 32 bit

opticks pdb sourcecode building in windows 32 bit

indranil
Hi all,

I am trying to build opticks pdb sourcecode(4.3.0) for my project using visual studio 2005 SP1.

I successfully build the optick solution with no errors:).

But when I run opticks.exe/opticksbatch.exe, it gives following error message:

"The application configuration is incorrect.Reinstall the application."

I have to set the default setting or something like that??...I can't be able to track the problem yet:(...

Can anyone help me in this regard?

Thnaks,
Indranil

RE: opticks pdb sourcecode building in windows 32 bit

dadkins
Administrator
It sounds like the VS DLLs are not on the system. See:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200B2FD9-AE1A-4
A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en

Are you trying to run it on the same machine that you used to build it?
If not, then you'll need to build the installer and use that to get the
necessary DLLs.

Are you building debug or release mode (try the other and let us know if
that works)?

RE: opticks pdb sourcecode building in windows 32 bit

dadkins
Administrator
"Are you trying to run it on the same machine that you used to build it?
If not, then you'll need to build the installer and use that to get the
necessary DLLs."

That's misleading given the above context. There are DLLs in addition to
the VS DLLs that are required. The installer is responsible for those.
You'll still need to install the VS runtimes.

Also, as a generic piece of advice, you can run a tool called Dependency
Walker (included with most distributions of VS) to determine exactly
what DLL is missing.

I am trying to build opticks pdb sourcecode(4.3.0) for my project using
visual studio 2005 SP1.

I successfully build the optick solution with no errors:).

But when I run opticks.exe/opticksbatch.exe, it gives following error
message:

"The application configuration is incorrect.Reinstall the application."

I have to set the default setting or something like that??...I can't be
able to track the problem yet:(...

Can anyone help me in this regard?

Thnaks,
Indranil

This message and any enclosures are intended only for the addressee.
Please
notify the sender by email if you are not the intended recipient.  If
you are
not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, disclose, or
distribute this
message or its contents or enclosures to any other person and any such
actions
may be unlawful.  Ball reserves the right to monitor and review all
messages

RE: opticks pdb sourcecode building in windows 32 bit

opticks pdb sourcecode building in windows 32 bit
Are you building from the pdb zip file or from a subversion checkout? I'm not sure offhand if the pdb zip contains enough for you to successfully build and run Opticks, it's only intended for you to debug the binaries we build. You may need to checkout the source tree from subversion. Are you making changes to the source that requires you build the whole application or are you just trying to debug into opticks? If it's the later, you can use our prebuilt binaries and you should still be able to debug into opticks if you point visual studio at the pdb files.

I am trying to build opticks pdb sourcecode(4.3.0) for my project using visual studio 2005 SP1.

I successfully build the optick solution with no errors:).

But when I run opticks.exe/opticksbatch.exe, it gives following error message:

"The application configuration is incorrect.Reinstall the application."

I have to set the default setting or something like that??...I can't be able to track the problem yet:(...

Can anyone help me in this regard?

Thnaks,
Indranil

<SCRIPT id=F5_watermark></SCRIPT>

RE: opticks pdb sourcecode building in windows 32 bit

This is more than likely because Windows cannot locate the Visual Studio
C Runtime.  In Visual Studio 2005 and later, they introduced the
concepts of manifests which get embedded directly into the resulting
binaries.  These manifests include the precise version information about
which C Runtime the binary was linked against.  The Operating System
does very precise checks now and reports that error message when it
discovers a problem.

So, it could be:

1) The binary doesn't have a manifest embedded into it. (This can happen
if you are using something like nmake to build the binaries)
2) The binary has the manifest but the system you are running the binary
on doesn't have the requested version of the C Runtime available.

For 1) above you can check this if you have a Professional edition or
higher of Visual Studio 2005 SP1 by opening the .exe or .dll in Visual
Studio. Once opened, click on the "RT_MANIFEST" in the tree view and
then click on "1" entry for .exe and the "2" entry for .dll and you
should see the contents of an xml file.  You can copy this out of visual
studio and into a text editor.  From this you can see what version of
the C runtime it's requesting.  If you don't see the RT_MANIFEST entry
in Visual Studio it's missing a manifest, which is the problem.  If you
don't have a Professional edition or higher, let me know and I can send
you the slightly involved command-line you can use to extract the
manifest from the binary.

For 2), you can read how the OS loader looks for the Microsoft C Runtime
by visiting MSDN here:

For now, see if you can extract the manifest from the .exe or .dll.  If
you have built using Visual Studio 2005 SP1, you should see
"8.0.50727.762" listed as the version.