Renaming Data Elements and Layers

Forehand, Richard
Message
While creating a plug-in for an IR&D project, I ran into what to me could be a point of confusion to users when dealing with AOIs. The GUI for this plug-in gives the user the option of processing the whole image or just an AOI. I hooked up the signals to update the list of AOIs when an AOI element is added or deleted. I also hooked up signals to monitor changes to any of the AOIs, e.g., being renamed. When I tested catching the renaming event, I noticed that there is no tie between the AOI layer name and the AOI element name. Since a data element can be in multiple layers and more than one element can be in a layer, I can see why this occurs.

The problem I see is that when the user adds a new AOI layer to a spatial data window, it is automaticcaly named "AOI x" and so is the included AOI element. These names are not very descriptive so a user may want to use a more descriptive name. If they rename the layer, the element still has the "AOI x" name. Likewise, if they rename the AOI element, the layer is still named "AOI x". If the selection list of AOIs in a GUI is built from the AOI elements in Model for the dataset, the list will not match the AOI layer list displayed in the Windows tab of the Session Explorer.

Is there any reason to have multiple data elements in an AOI layer? Is there any reason to have an AOI element in more than one layer? Should AOI layers and elements be a special case and maintain a link that keeps the names in sync?

Dick

RE: Renaming Data Elements and Layers

Message

To answer your question, in general a single data element can be displayed in multiple layers.  However, the current implementation of GraphicElement and GraphicLayer only allow for a single GraphicElement to be displayed in one and only one GraphicLayer (the same would therefore apply to AOIs and Annotations).  Having said this, there is some reservation from the rest of the team to add a link that sync’s the name of AOI layers with AOI elements, but to not do it for other element and layer types.  The thought here would be: When does the user know they’re automatically synced and when they aren’t? My suggestion to this problem would be making it so that if you rename either a layer or an element’s name using the session explorer,  we pop-up a dialog box asking if you want to sync the name change to the other item.  We could even add a configuration setting that controls this behavior (ie. don’t sync, always sync, or ask).  What does everyone else think?