Register for ESA Summer of Code?

Aron Xu
Dear developers,

I would like to propose Opticks apply for becoming an 'ESA Summer of
Coder in Space 2011' mentoring organization. ESA SoC is inspired by GSoC
but have many differences. It is organized by European Space Agency, and
aimed at open source space-related projects. The registration deadline
for mentoring organization is 15th July (should be right before 15th,
actually).

Looking at ESA SoC's documents, it does not require students to work
that much like GSoC, so we guess it provides less sponsorship. But
anyway this is an opportunity for our project.

In my CC list, there is a student would like to help with Opticks's
build system, so that distributions can package the software easier. And
we still like to see if we can take this chance start our i18n
(internationalization) support.

Aron Xu

Re: Register for ESA Summer of Code?

One of our developers (kstreith) mentioned the ESA SoC the other day so
we have been thinking about this. We haven't made a decision about
official participation yet but it's useful to know there is interest
from prospective participants. I'll add the topic to the agenda for our
next IRC meeting this coming Monday at 2pm EDT.
(http://opticks.org/confluence/x/foNb)

I would like to propose Opticks apply for becoming an 'ESA Summer of
Coder in Space 2011' mentoring organization. ESA SoC is inspired by GSoC
but have many differences. It is organized by European Space Agency, and
aimed at open source space-related projects. The registration deadline
for mentoring organization is 15th July (should be right before 15th,
actually).

Looking at ESA SoC's documents, it does not require students to work
that much like GSoC, so we guess it provides less sponsorship. But
anyway this is an opportunity for our project.

In my CC list, there is a student would like to help with Opticks's
build system, so that distributions can package the software easier. And
we still like to see if we can take this chance start our i18n
(internationalization) support.

Aron Xu

------
All of the data generated in your IT infrastructure is seriously
valuable.
Why? It contains a definitive record of application performance,
security

http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2d-c2

Re: Register for ESA Summer of Code?

We are currently participating in Google Summer of Code with 3 students
and multiple mentors.  Given the overlap between Google Summer of Code
and ESA Summer of Code, I have concerns about maxing out our resources.

If had some new mentors step up, then I think some of existing mentors
for Google Summer of Code could help out.  But if that doesn't happen,
I'm inclined not to participate in ESA Summer of Code.

I am very interested in continuing the discussion about improving
building/packaging of Opticks on various Linux distros, however we might
want to start a new thread for that discussion if you have questions or
suggested improvements.

[...]

This message and any enclosures are intended only for the addressee.
Please
notify the sender by email if you are not the intended recipient.  If
you are
not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, disclose, or
distribute this
message or its contents or enclosures to any other person and any such
actions
may be unlawful.  Ball reserves the right to monitor and review all
messages

------
All of the data generated in your IT infrastructure is seriously
valuable.
Why? It contains a definitive record of application performance,
security

http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2d-c2

Re: Register for ESA Summer of Code?

YunQiang Su
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 1:42 AM, Streithorst, Kip <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are currently participating in Google Summer of Code with 3 students
> and multiple mentors.  Given the overlap between Google Summer of Code
> and ESA Summer of Code, I have concerns about maxing out our resources.
>
> If had some new mentors step up, then I think some of existing mentors
> for Google Summer of Code could help out.  But if that doesn't happen,
> I'm inclined not to participate in ESA Summer of Code.

This is not as much work as GSoC. It ask for about 4 hours work every work.

> I am very interested in continuing the discussion about improving
> building/packaging of Opticks on various Linux distros, however we might
> want to start a new thread for that discussion if you have questions or
> suggested improvements.
>
> Thanks,
> Kip

于 2011年07月12日 01:42, Streithorst, Kip 写道:
> We are currently participating in Google Summer of Code with 3 students
> and multiple mentors.  Given the overlap between Google Summer of Code
> and ESA Summer of Code, I have concerns about maxing out our resources.
>
> If had some new mentors step up, then I think some of existing mentors
> for Google Summer of Code could help out.  But if that doesn't happen,
> I'm inclined not to participate in ESA Summer of Code.

ESA SoC won't cost a lot of resources, for example it only requires 4 to
5 hours work per week (and it's expected ESA won't pay that much as
Google), so it's suitable for a program that focus on making build
system changes et al. And if you don't have the resource to mentor a
student to do the work, how can you invest manpower to continue the
discussion about details of build system improvements, as you are
interested in the topic? ;-)

Aron Xu

Re: Register for ESA Summer of Code?

YunQiang Su
Any progress or rejected?

I am very willing to package it for Debian, and then, the build system
need to be rewrite.

and Aron is also willing to working on internationalization.

I don't think these to jobs are very hard to do, both of them are
suitable for ESA SoC.

--
YunQiang Su

Re: Register for ESA Summer of Code?

We've looked at the time commitments and polled various Opticks contributors and we have time to work with the ESA SOCIS. We put in a mentor org application today and should hear something on Monday.