Reduce the Windows SDK size

All,

I'm working on reducing the size of the Windows SDK between now and July
3rd.  My plan is to split the current SDK into two zips:

1) Everything needed to build plug-ins.  This will be the current SDK
minus the pdb's.  This should result in a download somewhere in ~250MB
range.
2) A new zip that includes the pdb's and a copy of the Opticks source
code.  This zip will include instructions on configuring Visual Studio
2005 and is meant to be used by plug-in developers to debug into Opticks
while working on their plug-ins.

Does this seem alright, should I be doing something completely
different?

RE: Reduce the Windows SDK size

John Prikkel
Sounds like a good plan.

I'm working on reducing the size of the Windows SDK between now and July
3rd.  My plan is to split the current SDK into two zips:

1) Everything needed to build plug-ins.  This will be the current SDK
minus the pdb's.  This should result in a download somewhere in ~250MB
range.
2) A new zip that includes the pdb's and a copy of the Opticks source
code.  This zip will include instructions on configuring Visual Studio
2005 and is meant to be used by plug-in developers to debug into Opticks
while working on their plug-ins.

Does this seem alright, should I be doing something completely
different?

This message and any enclosures are intended only for the addressee.
Please
notify the sender by email if you are not the intended recipient.  If
you are
not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, disclose, or
distribute this
message or its contents or enclosures to any other person and any such
actions
may be unlawful.  Ball reserves the right to monitor and review all
messages

Re: Reduce the Windows SDK size

John Prikkel

Kip, you may want to add the few files necessary for getting the dependencies into the SDK. It makes one less download for the developers and it isn’t that big. I am writing instructions for a developer’s guide and there are already a lot of steps just to get started.

Thanks,

John

RE: Re: Reduce the Windows SDK size

I would just like to say that at first I wasn’t sure if I should implement John’s suggestion, but I took the plunge and I’m very pleased with the results.  The 4.2.1rc1 release has the dependencies embedded in the SDK and I would like to thank John for the very useful suggestion.