Questions about Compiling, GDAL and photogrammetry with Opticks

Questions about Compiling, GDAL and photogrammetry with Opticks

Antoine Lucas
Dear Opticks Devs'

I'm new to Opticks,  so please apologize for my naives questions.  I
just discover it. I'm a heavy user of ENVI and SOCET SET so Opticks
might be a good deal for me.

I have three questions:

(1) Does anyone ever managed to compile from source on Mac OS X, as no
compiled version is available from the website? I would be interested
in any feedback, although I'll give a try.

(2) Why GDAL library is not used in order to manage a larger number of
files? I am specifically thinking about Nasa PDS and USGS ISIS files
intensively used in planetary science which is my field.

(3) SOCET GXP is mentioned as an example for which Opticks might be an
good alternative, but one of the main core of SOCET SET/GXP is
photogrammetry and I did not see such features for Opticks, am I
wrong? If so, can I create my own sensor model using Python scripting
or any equivalent?

As I think that my questions remain to the dev side rather than the
end user side, this is why I am posting here today.

thank you,
 Antoine Lucas

Re: Questions about Compiling, GDAL and photogrammetry with Opticks

1) As a test, I have compiled it in the past and it has mostly worked.
You would need to recompile some third party dependencies (we have local
modifications to ossim, etc. so you can't used a standard build). You
also need to modify AppConfig.h, the build system (*NIX builds use
scons), and possibly a few other files. We have no plans to support OS-X
(one reason being that the core devs don't have macs)

2) There is a GDAL based importer (Generic GDAL Importer) that's there
as a catch-all. However, GDAL does not sensibly handle non-BSQ
interleaves (a BIP file is converted to BSQ and then back to BIP) which
makes it very inefficient for spectral oriented processing which is why
we have our own importers for many of the common formats.

3) Opticks is traditionally a remote sensing/MASINT tool, not a
GIS/photogrammetry tool so geospatial support is minimal. The upcoming
(end of the year) 5.0.0 release will include some new geo functionality
which will get it a bit closer. Opticks will display geo coordinates
(pixel->geo mapping) if there's a georeferencing plug-in available for
the data. There's built-in support for GCP/Corner Coordinates mapping
via a 1st order polynomial fit, IGM lookups, and RPC (doesn't use a
height-map/DEM). You can create your own georeference plug-in using C++
if you have different geo data available or want to use a full sensor
model. This provides pix->geo and geo->pix mappings for display to the
user and access to plug-in devs. There isn't a warping tool so you can't
perform full orthorectification. There is a tool (in the Geo toolbar
under Geo->Mosaic) which will stretch, offset, and rotate multiple
datasets to align them with each other.