Proposal Draft for GSoC 2014

Angela

Hello everyone,

I got the emails yesterday which suggested us to write proposal draft, so I’m writing to ask for help to improve my proposal. I write this proposal based on questions asked at http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code.

I really appreciated it if anyone replies. Thanks for your help and your patience.

Proposal Draft goes here:

Q: What’s your idea and plan?

A: Idea: PCL processing algorithms

Opticks has provided a framework to processing remote sensing data such as HSI, MSI, SAR, it doesn’t support point cloud data yet, while point cloud is of great importance in remote sensing and has gain more attention. It can be used to implement ideas which are more difficult for other kind of remote sensing data, such as 3D reconstruction.

The idea of PCL processing algorithms is to warp algorithms already implemented by point cloud library (PCL) into opticks extensions. I’m going to implement 3 algorithms. The first one is noise removal which is implemented by computing the distribution of point to its neighbor’s distances in the input dataset. Another task is to implement 2 segmentation algorithms, k-NN and PCA for segmentation.

Project plan:

Before coding (March and April), I will learn PCL and the data model and framework of opticks.

The first month of coding, I will implement noise removal algorithm.

The second month of coding, I will implement k-NN segmentation algorithm.

The second month of coding, I will implement PCA segmentation algorithm.

Future ideas: The future work can be implementation of more PCL algorithms into opticks, such as registration, surface extraction etc.

Q: Explain how your SoC task would benefit the OSGeo member project and more generally the OSGeo Foundation as a whole.

A: The GSoc task would add functions for the open source projects. And as a master students specialized in remote sensing, I think I know what we expect for open source softwares when we doing researches. So I can exchange ideas with OSGeo members and help contribute it. I know I’m just a student, maybe I can’t contribute that much, but with my effort and many more people like me can make the community better and better, this’s the meaning of open source, right?

Q: Please provide details of general computing experience.

A: The operating system I use now is window 8 and Ubuntu 13.04 with 64bit. I used to use 32bit operating systems for windows 7, xp and formal versions of Ubuntu.

I’m familiar with programming languages c/c++, and I also used c# for GIS related programming such as ArcGIS Engine based extended development.

Q: Please provide details of previous GIS experience.

A: I was a student of the school of remote sensing information and engineering, where I got my bachelor’s degree, and my direction is GIS, so I’ve learned basic knowledge about both GIS and remote sensing. I’ve learned programming for both realms, and I’ve used different kinds of GIS and remote sensing related soft wares such as ArcMap, Envi, Erdas and eCognition.

Q: Please provide details of any previous involvement with GIS programming and other software programming.

A: I have some experience about ArcGIS Engine based extended development, and I’m familiar with image processing algorithms programing for raster data, such as k-means, histogram equalization etc. During my sophomore year, I participated in an extended development competition based on a GIS software call supermap, and won the second place.

Q: Please tell us why you are interested in GIS and open source software.

A: GIS is everywhere, it affects our lives from every aspect, as everything has a geographical coordinates, using GIS information we could live a better life. For example, with the help of GPS we can drive to places, to where we don’t know the path; with LBS services we can go to strange places and find the best restaurants immediately. What’s more, we can find living patterns from thousands of GIS information, it’s a useful information for both commercial usage and social researchers. In a word, GIS is not mysterious, it exits in our everyday lives, that’s why I’m interested in GIS.

Open source software are useful for GIS researches, as we know commercial software like ArcGIS is extremely expensive, on the other hand it would cost us lots of time and effort if we development every programs by ourselves for experiments. For example, if we want to learn the performance of an image processing algorithm, without GDAL we should write our own interfaces to read an image, and image formats such as .img are really complex so it would be a time consuming work. Thus open source software is more than useful and it saves us time and efforts.

Q: Please tell us why you are interested in working for OSGeo and the software project you have selected.

A: OSGeo is fascinate as it collects lots of open source GIS softwares together. Without the work of OSGeo, if we want to use some open source GIS softwares, we have to download one by one and sometimes it’s complicated to install or compile this programs if we use windows as our operating system. I remember I used osgeo4w to get open source softwares and I can have a thorough look though of all these programs.

The reason I choose opticks is because it matches what I’m study now, and this program supports big image data very well which is very cool and I want to know how they manage to do this.

Q: Please tell us why you are interested in your specific coding project.

A: I choose opeticks as my ideal projects to work with for three reasons. First, though my college degree is about GIS, I concentrate on remote sensing data processing now. Second, I believe I’m capable of contributing to this particular open source community, as I have experiences writing programs about image processing. Last but not least, though I’m not writing programs about point cloud now, I always find it fascinating, and it would be useful for my researches, so it’s a good way to start by participate GSOC.

Q: Would your application contribute to your ongoing studies/ degree? If so, how?

A: Yes. On the one hand, this programming development experience would help me master c++ programming language. On the other hand, point cloud has been proved useful for my research direction.

Q: Please explain how you intend to continue being an active member of your project and/or OSGeo AFTER the summer is over.

A: As I master student specialized in remote sensing, it’s quite often for me to use all kinds of open source GIS and remote sensing softwares, so with this frequency of using I can help improve these programs. Take opeticks as an example, I can write algorithms as extensions for it after deeply understanding of these algorithms because I usually implement algorithms for my own experiments if there’s no programs at hand.

Yi ZHANG

Re: Proposal Draft for GSoC 2014

I think it’s a pretty good start. In addition to the OSGEO questions, the final proposal should indicate where you will publish your weekly status reports and where you will check-in your code changes. In the past, students have used their personal space on the http://opticks.org wiki and placed source on github but you can use any publically accessible services.

Specific notes are below in red

I got the emails yesterday which suggested us to write proposal draft, so I’m writing to ask for help to improve my proposal. I write this proposal based on questions asked at http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code.

I really appreciated it if anyone replies. Thanks for your help and your patience.

Proposal Draft goes here:

Q: What’s your idea and plan?

A: Idea: PCL processing algorithms

Opticks has provided a framework to processing remote sensing data such as HSI, MSI, SAR, it doesn’t support point cloud data yet, while point cloud is of great importance in remote sensing and has gain more attention. It can be used to implement ideas which are more difficult for other kind of remote sensing data, such as 3D reconstruction.

This first paragraph indicates that point cloud support is not yet available which isn’t quite true. The trunk has point cloud support so your intro should indicate this.

The idea of PCL processing algorithms is to warp algorithms already implemented by point cloud library (PCL) into opticks extensions. I’m going to implement 3 algorithms. The first one is noise removal which is implemented by computing the distribution of point to its neighbor’s distances in the input dataset. Another task is to implement 2 segmentation algorithms, k-NN and PCA for segmentation.

This seems like a good set of algorithms to start with.

Project plan:

Before coding (March and April), I will learn PCL and the data model and framework of opticks.

The first month of coding, I will implement noise removal algorithm.

The second month of coding, I will implement k-NN segmentation algorithm.

The second month of coding, I will implement PCA segmentation algorithm.

Future ideas: The future work can be implementation of more PCL algorithms into opticks, such as registration, surface extraction etc.

I suspect the segmentation algorithms will not take a full month. A note indicating that other algorithms may be implemented if time permits is a good way to address this. That way you are not required to implement a large set of algorithms but will have enough work to ensure the entire GSoC period is used.

Q: Explain how your SoC task would benefit the OSGeo member project and more generally the OSGeo Foundation as a whole.

A: The GSoc task would add functions for the open source projects. And as a master students specialized in remote sensing, I think I know what we expect for open source softwares when we doing researches. So I can exchange ideas with OSGeo members and help contribute it. I know I’m just a student, maybe I can’t contribute that much, but with my effort and many more people like me can make the community better and better, this’s the meaning of open source, right?

Q: Please provide details of general computing experience.

A: The operating system I use now is window 8 and Ubuntu 13.04 with 64bit. I used to use 32bit operating systems for windows 7, xp and formal versions of Ubuntu.

I’m familiar with programming languages c/c++, and I also used c# for GIS related programming such as ArcGIS Engine based extended development.

Q: Please provide details of previous GIS experience.

A: I was a student of the school of remote sensing information and engineering, where I got my bachelor’s degree, and my direction is GIS, so I’ve learned basic knowledge about both GIS and remote sensing. I’ve learned programming for both realms, and I’ve used different kinds of GIS and remote sensing related soft wares such as ArcMap, Envi, Erdas and eCognition.

Q: Please provide details of any previous involvement with GIS programming and other software programming.

A: I have some experience about ArcGIS Engine based extended development, and I’m familiar with image processing algorithms programing for raster data, such as k-means, histogram equalization etc. During my sophomore year, I participated in an extended development competition based on a GIS software call supermap, and won the second place.

Q: Please tell us why you are interested in GIS and open source software.

A: GIS is everywhere, it affects our lives from every aspect, as everything has a geographical coordinates, using GIS information we could live a better life. For example, with the help of GPS we can drive to places, to where we don’t know the path; with LBS services we can go to strange places and find the best restaurants immediately. What’s more, we can find living patterns from thousands of GIS information, it’s a useful information for both commercial usage and social researchers. In a word, GIS is not mysterious, it exits in our everyday lives, that’s why I’m interested in GIS.

Open source software are useful for GIS researches, as we know commercial software like ArcGIS is extremely expensive, on the other hand it would cost us lots of time and effort if we development every programs by ourselves for experiments. For example, if we want to learn the performance of an image processing algorithm, without GDAL we should write our own interfaces to read an image, and image formats such as .img are really complex so it would be a time consuming work. Thus open source software is more than useful and it saves us time and efforts.

Q: Please tell us why you are interested in working for OSGeo and the software project you have selected.

A: OSGeo is fascinate as it collects lots of open source GIS softwares together. Without the work of OSGeo, if we want to use some open source GIS softwares, we have to download one by one and sometimes it’s complicated to install or compile this programs if we use windows as our operating system. I remember I used osgeo4w to get open source softwares and I can have a thorough look though of all these programs.

The reason I choose opticks is because it matches what I’m study now, and this program supports big image data very well which is very cool and I want to know how they manage to do this.

Q: Please tell us why you are interested in your specific coding project.

A: I choose opeticks as my ideal projects to work with for three reasons. First, though my college degree is about GIS, I concentrate on remote sensing data processing now. Second, I believe I’m capable of contributing to this particular open source community, as I have experiences writing programs about image processing. Last but not least, though I’m not writing programs about point cloud now, I always find it fascinating, and it would be useful for my researches, so it’s a good way to start by participate GSOC.

Q: Would your application contribute to your ongoing studies/ degree? If so, how?

A: Yes. On the one hand, this programming development experience would help me master c++ programming language. On the other hand, point cloud has been proved useful for my research direction.

Q: Please explain how you intend to continue being an active member of your project and/or OSGeo AFTER the summer is over.

A: As I master student specialized in remote sensing, it’s quite often for me to use all kinds of open source GIS and remote sensing softwares, so with this frequency of using I can help improve these programs. Take opeticks as an example, I can write algorithms as extensions for it after deeply understanding of these algorithms because I usually implement algorithms for my own experiments if there’s no programs at hand.

Yi ZHANG