GeoLocating non primary raster elements

Wailes, Andrew

I have a situation where I am importing multiple raster elements and displaying them in the same view.  Each raster element is being displayed in its own raster layer and each raster layer has the possibility of overlapping other raster layers in both space and time (two raster layers can be updating at the same time and one raster layer can be partially on top of another).  I need to GeoLocate all of my data.  My initial thought was to make a plug in that listens for mouse events and updates the view’s primary raster element based on where the mouse is (if the mouse moves to an element that is not the primary element, change the primary element to the element under the mouse).  I tried calling SpacialDataView::setPrimaryRasterElement( ) but it states in the documentation that once an element is associated with a view it can not be changed.

My question is how should I GeoLocate all of my data if the extents of some of my data are outside the primary raster element?

Andrew Wailes

Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp.

937-320-4093

RE: GeoLocating non primary raster elements

Let’s think outside of Opticks for the moment:

In order for everything draw a bunch of stuff into a single view, one needs to have a single coordinate system defined for that single view.  If you’re using a program like Photoshop, that coordinate space is pixel-based.  If you using a program like GRASS, that coordinate space is lat/lon based.  In both of those applications when stuff needs to be drawn it is transformed into the underlying view’s space and then drawn appropriately and you can’t mix two different coordinate spaces in a single view.

Now, back to Opticks:

In Opticks, we don’t have the view or the window directly control the coordinate space.  Instead, this is what we use the primary raster element for.  So, basically the data coordinates and potentially lat/lon coordinates (ie.. RasterElement::setGeoreferencePlugIn() ) defined by the primary raster element define the coordinates for the entire spatial data view and therefore the window.  This is the reason we don’t allow you to change the primary raster element because we don’t currently support changing the coordinate space.  So, the short answer is that for lat/lon space the georeference plug-in associated with your primary raster element should be written to handle all of your other data.  I don’t know if that means you need to make changes to your georeference plug-in or not, but it’s that object’s ultimate responsibility.

Let me know if that makes sense and if you have any more questions.

RE: RE: GeoLocating non primary raster elements

Wailes, Andrew

I am still having a problem where the Opticks status bar is not updating when I move the mouse off the primary raster element onto another raster element.  Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Andrew

RE: RE: RE: GeoLocating non primary raster elements

Just so everyone else is aware, OPTICKS-82 was created and implemented to address Andrew’s problem.  You can look in jira at https://issues.ballforge.net/ or Subversion to see the actual implementation.