GSoC 2014 - Question about code license

Roberta Ravanelli
Hello Trevor,
earlier I've tried to contact you on the IRC chat because I have a question about the code license: I’m using the GNU Lesser General Public License Version 2.1 and I think it is good for all the classes (I think to have almost completed the basic code re-organization) except for the Ransac class, which is heavily based on the code of PCL library (BSD License - however I added some code).
So my question is if I must add the PCL disclaimer at the beginning of the Ransac class and what type of license I must use for this class.
Thank you and best regards,

Roberta

Re: GSoC 2014 - Question about code license

Thanks for checking on this. The BSD license allows you to re-license to LGPL provided you include the original license as well. So you should be fine if you put your LGPL information followed by “derived from PCL” and the original PCL BSD license.

Re: GSoC 2014 - Question about code license

Roberta Ravanelli

Hi Trevor,

I’ve done as you have suggested and I’ve added the  original PCL BSD license below the LGPL license for the Ransac and the RansacOld classes.

Then I’ve another (minor) problem: I’ve noted that, after the gui implementation, I can run the plug-In only one time: if I want to re-run it, I must open a new session.  It is like the Plug-In doesn’t end (I can’ t load a new version of the dll either). Before the gui addition I could run the Plug-In as many times as I wanted.

Best regards,

Roberta

Thanks for checking on this. The BSD license allows you to re-license to LGPL provided you include the original license as well. So you should be fine if you put your LGPL information followed by “derived from PCL” and the original PCL BSD license.

Re: GSoC 2014 - Question about code license

Trevor Clarke
Make sure you're current code is available in github and I'll look at
it and get back to you.

On 8/13/14, Roberta Ravanelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Trevor,
>
> I’ve done as you have suggested and I’ve added the  original PCL BSD
> license below the LGPL license for the Ransac and the RansacOld classes.
>
> Then I’ve another (minor) problem: I’ve noted that, after the gui
> implementation, I can run the plug-In only one time: if I want to re-run
> it, I must open a new session.  It is like the Plug-In doesn’t end (I can’
> t load a new version of the dll either). Before the gui addition I could
> run the Plug-In as many times as I wanted.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Roberta

>>  Thanks for checking on this. The BSD license allows you to re-license to
>> LGPL provided you include the original license as well. So you should be
>> fine if you put your LGPL information followed by “derived from PCL” and
>> the original PCL BSD license.
>>

>> ----------------------
>>
>> Trevor R.H. Clarke
>>
>> Software Engineer, Ball Aerospace
>>
>> (937)320-7087

Computer Science House
Rochester Institute of Technology
[hidden email]
http://www.csh.rit.edu/~retrev/

Re: GSoC 2014 - Question about code license

Roberta Ravanelli
I've just uploaded the last version.
Thank you and best regards,
Roberta

Make sure you're current code is available in github and I'll look at
it and get back to you.

On 8/13/14, Roberta Ravanelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Trevor,
>
> I’ve done as you have suggested and I’ve added the  original PCL BSD
> license below the LGPL license for the Ransac and the RansacOld classes.
>
> Then I’ve another (minor) problem: I’ve noted that, after the gui
> implementation, I can run the plug-In only one time: if I want to re-run
> it, I must open a new session.  It is like the Plug-In doesn’t end (I can’
> t load a new version of the dll either). Before the gui addition I could
> run the Plug-In as many times as I wanted.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Roberta

>>  Thanks for checking on this. The BSD license allows you to re-license to
>> LGPL provided you include the original license as well. So you should be
>> fine if you put your LGPL information followed by “derived from PCL” and
>> the original PCL BSD license.
>>

>> ----------------------
>>
>> Trevor R.H. Clarke
>>
>> Software Engineer, Ball Aerospace

The problem is that you are creating a modeless dialog without the required management framework in place. In order to use a modeless dialog, you need to implement a ViewerShell. Modeless.cpp in the PlugInSamplerQt project has an example. This would make sense if you want to continually adjust parameters in the gui without having to re-run the plug-in.

However, looking at your gui, you do probably don’t need a modeless dialog. In order to make the dialog model, use mpGui->exec() instead of mpGui->show(). For example:

If (mpGui->exec() != QDialog::Accepted)

{

  // log an error

  return false;

}

// extract information from the gui and execute the rest of the plugin.

In addition to exec, you should keep all of the plug-in execution in the main plug-in class and only use the gui to get user parameters. It would look very similar to your non-gui version except you’d get the parameters from the gui instead of hard coding them in the plugin

retrev@...
http://www.csh.rit.edu/~retrev/

Re: GSoC 2014 - Question about code license

Roberta Ravanelli
Hello Trevor,
thanks for the suggestions. I will apply them later, hoping to have enough time before the pencil down date (otherwise I’ll apply them after that date, but they won’t be ready for the code submission).
In fact now I will focus my energy on documentation; however I think I've almost completed the code re-organization.  The Plug-In code is almost ready (maybe I will remove the opencv imshow method calls).
Best regards,
Roberta