GSoC 2014: PCL Processing Algorithms

Roberta Ravanelli

Hello to everyone,

I'm Roberta Ravanelli, an environmental engineer and a first year PhD student at the Geodesy and Geomatics Division of the University of Rome “La Sapienza”.

I would like to participate in  the GSoC 2014 program with Opticks. In particular I'm interested in PCL Processing Algorithms project: I work with range cameras (especially Microsft KInect 1.0 and Kinect 2.0) and so, dealing with point clouds almost every day of my research activities, it would be very useful to improve my knowledge of point cloud processing and to deeply understand the PCL algorithms.

I write to ask you an advice about a sample list of the PCL algorithms to implement: I would be very pleased to give my contribute in the Opticks community.

I hope to hear soon your feedback.

Best regards,

Roberta

Re: GSoC 2014: PCL Processing Algorithms

A good way to get started would be to grab the latest Opticks trunk and learn a bit about the application. You can get an installer for the latest trunk here: http://opticks.org/hudson/job/OpticksFutureDev-Nightly-Windows/202/   or checkout trunk/future and build it yourself (opticks.org has information on how to get started building the app).

Once you’ve looked this over, you’ll hopefully have a better idea of what’s involved. We can answer questions you have while you put together a proposal and we encourage you to make draft proposals available for us to review and comment on. Here’s a good example of a proposal summary : http://opticks.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=9372446

OSGEO has their own set of questions which are required for a proposal as well so be sure to check out their page http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code

As for specific algorithms, we’ll leave that up to you to decide based on your skill level, etc. A good starting point might be:

  Outlier and noise removal (sample consensus, etc.)

  Segmentation algorithms (knn, PCA, ec.)

  Surface extraction/meshing

These are all pretty useful tools on their own or as building blocks for more complex systems.

Re: GSoC 2014: PCL Processing Algorithms

Roberta Ravanelli

Hi Trevor,

thank you for your suggestions.

I installed Opticks and its SDK on a windows 7 machine (Visual Studio 2010, c++ language). My plan now is to install Opticks also on a windows 8 pc and then I will concentrate my attention on the study of Point Cloud algorithms.

Best regards,

Roberta

[...]

Hi to all,

I successfully installed Opticks on my Windows 8 pc and I build my customized trial plugin: all works fine.

I've begun to analyze the algorithms: I think the first one to implement could be the Ransac algorithm (with the linear, planar, circular and spherical model) since it can be used also in segmentation.

For the segmentation section, as Trevor suggested, I could implement K-nearest-neighbor (kNN) and Principal component analysis (PCA)  algorithms and in addition also the Sample Consensus segmentation,  as I told before.

Now I will concentrate my attention on the Surface extraction/meshing algorithms and I will continue the study of the algorithms of the other two areas.

Let me know if you have any suggestions, I will consider your feedback with pleasure.

Best regards,

Roberta

[...]

Don’t forget, we’re in the application phase so you should be working on your proposal and not the actual algorithms (implementation work done prior to acceptance and start of GSoC does not count toward the project). I would suggest putting together a draft proposal for us to review and provide feedback.

Re: GSoC 2014: PCL Processing Algorithms

Roberta Ravanelli
Dear all,

I would like to share my project proposal for participating the Opticks GSOC2014.

The project is available at:

I look forward to have all your comments and suggestions.
Thank you in advance for your availability.

Kind regards,
Roberta Ravanelli

Ph.D. student
Environmental Engineer

Don’t forget, we’re in the application phase so you should be working on your proposal and not the actual algorithms (implementation work done prior to acceptance and start of GSoC does not count toward the project). I would suggest putting together a draft proposal for us to review and provide feedback.

Re: GSoC 2014: PCL Processing Algorithms

dadkins
Administrator

This is a very good proposal. My only suggestion is to add the AEB file to the list of deliverables.

Re: GSoC 2014: PCL Processing Algorithms

Roberta Ravanelli
Hi Dustan,
thank you for your suggestion: I will add the AEB file to the list of derivables.
Best regards,

Roberta