GSoC 2014 Community bonding

Roberta Ravanelli

Hello to everyone, hi Trevor,

I'm very happy to have been accepted for Google Summer of Code 2014 and I'm very glad to give my contribute in the Opticks community: I'll give my best to realize the proposed project (you can find my project at this link: http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/public/google/gsoc2014/roberta_ravanelli/5629499534213120).

Up to now I accomplished all the administrative paperworks for Google and I set up the developing environment (Visual Studio 2010, Windows 8 OS).

Now, as described in the project plan, I want to better familiarize with the plug-in Opticks development, writing basic extensions (in addition to the very simple ones that I already modified and built following the tutorials).

Let me know if you have any suggestions about this task and, in general, about the community bonding period, I will consider your feedback with pleasure.

Best regards,

Roberta

Re: GSoC 2014 Community bonding

Trevor Clarke
Sorry for the delay getting back to you, I've been out of town. I'd suggest you get the most recent trunk build of Opticks which contains the LIDAR modification. You'll find a build which should work here:

That's for Windows. There isn't an up-to-date Linux build there, I'll have to check on that Wednesday. Of course, you can build the trunk yourself if you'd prefer.

I'd look into the existing LIDAR API. There's a sample plug-in in the PlugInSampler. I can work on getting you another sample if you need one.

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:20 PM, Roberta Ravanelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Computer Science House
Rochester Institute of Technology
[hidden email]
http://www.csh.rit.edu/~retrev/

Re: GSoC 2014 Community bonding

Roberta Ravanelli

Hi Trevor,

thank you for the suggestions.

Now I’ve begun to analyze the code of PointCloud Hystogram plugin and yes, I would like to have another sample, but I do not want to bother you.

I’ve found the Las plug-In code in the svn trunk repository (actually it isn’t in the PlugInSampler) and I would like to insert the code inside the Opticks SDK solution and build the LAS.dll by myself.

Meanwhile I set up the wiki page for the project, but I think it is visible only to Opticks members. ..http://opticks.org/confluence/display/~roberta.ravanelli/GSoC+2014%3A+LiDAR+segmentation+Plug-In+based+on+RANSAC+and+PCA+algorithms+for+Opticks

Later I wiil try to compile Opticks SDK under Linux environment.

Once again thank you for your suggestions, any other suggestions will be welcomed.

Best regards,

Roberta

[...]

I’m putting together something. Hopefully I’ll have it ready to send by the weekend.

Re: GSoC 2014 Community bonding

Roberta Ravanelli
Hi Trevor,
thank you for your support.
Meanwhile I set up the linux development envinronment: I installed the Opticks 4.11 and its SDK on my Ubuntu 12.04 machine: I successfully built and modified the tutorial.so: all seems to work fine.
I also built the Las.dll in Windows IDE, now I could try to do it in linux.
I'll continue to study the pointcloud API.
Best regards,

Roberta