GSoC 2013 idea - "Complex Band Ratios and Transformation Tools" - SAVI, Tasseled Cap Transformation

GSoC 2013 idea - "Complex Band Ratios and Transformation Tools" - SAVI, Tasseled Cap Transformation

Qing Liu
Hello List,

My name is Qing Liu. I am a Ph.D. student from Geography Department at University of Denver (Denver, Colorado). My research interests lie in Remote Sensing and GIS technologies and applications. I have been using commercial remote sensing software packages such as ENVI,  Erdas Imagine, and IDRISI for my study and research. I also use open source GIS software and libraries for Web GIS development. But I have never had experience with open source Remote Sensing and Image Processing software before. I found Opticks a very promising desktop application providing extensible framework for remote sensing imagery process and analysis. I would like to learn more about the Opticks data model and data processing framework, make some contribution to it, and hopefully to use it for my research.

I am very sorry to post on the list right before the deadline for GSoC application submission. But I also feel lucky that I didn't miss this opportunity to learn and make some contribution to Opticks.

I am very interested in the "Complex Band Ratios and Transformation Tools" idea. Vegetation indices are very useful measures of vegetation calculated from remotely sensed data. NDVI has been implemented in the Spectral Processing extension. The implementation of other two commonly used indices SAVI(Soil-adjusted Vegetation Index) and Tasseled Cap Transformation would be very useful to be incorporated into the Spectral Processing extension as imagery transformation tools:

1. SAVI: By introducing a soil calibration factor "L" to the NDVI equation, soil background influences can be minimized. A soil factor of 0.5 in reflectance space was found to minimize soil brightness variations and eliminate the need for additional calibration for different soils.

2. Tasseled Cap Transformation: as a global vegetation index, Tasseled Cap transformation can be used to disaggregate the amount of soil brightness, vegetation, and moisture content in individual pixel in Landsat MSS, TM, and ETM+ imagery. Coefficients for each band will be determined according to the sensor/image type selection.

I am very new to Opticks, I will have to learn more about Opticks and get familiar with its data model and development knowledge. I would appreciate any comments and suggestions on the GSoC idea for Opticks, so that I can improve my proposal before submitting it.

Best Regards,
Qing Liu

Re: GSoC 2013 idea - "Complex Band Ratios and Transformation Tools" - SAVI, Tasseled Cap Transformation

Trevor Clarke
This is a good start but tasseled cap and SAVI will not likely require much effort to implement event for a new Opticks users. I'd suggest expanding on your proposal a bit.

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 3:18 AM, Qing Liu <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Computer Science House
Rochester Institute of Technology
[hidden email]
http://www.csh.rit.edu/~retrev/

Re: GSoC 2013 idea - "Complex Band Ratios and Transformation Tools" - SAVI, Tasseled Cap Transformation

Qing Liu
Trevor, thank you for your suggestion!

I looked into current Opticks functions and extensions, and noticed that there haven't been functions available for multi-layer analysis (Please correct me if I am wrong about it). I would like to propose two two-layer/multi-layer operations: zonal statistics and statistical overlay.

1. Zonal statistics extract from raster layer the statistics of pixels within each zone from the zonal feature layer (can be vector or raster). The output can be tables or vector layer with zonal statistics attributes.

2. Statistical overlay combines two image layers based on the statistics of user's choice (max,min,avg,first,last,etc...). The output image can be intersection or union of both input images.

There are also two operations that can expand upon the Band Math function: weighted overlay, and reclassification/recode.

3. Weighted overlay combines band based on the weight given to each layer.

4. Reclassification recodes pixel values from the input image for an output reclassified image.

I understand that there is only a short time remaining. I would like to have your comments to help hammer out my proposal and submit it soon!

Thanks,
Qing

Re: GSoC 2013 idea - "Complex Band Ratios and Transformation Tools" - SAVI, Tasseled Cap Transformation

Qing Liu
Thanks, Trevor!
I have submitted my proposal here:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/kya_na/13001#