GSoC 2012 Andrea Nascetti Update

Andrea Nascetti
Dear All,

I'm Andrea Nascetti, one of the GSoC students. I am very excited to participate this project and I would try to do the best that I can. First of all, I would like to apologize for getting in contact only now but,  in this bounding period weeks, I'm studying the Opticks tutorials and I think that I’m getting familiar with the basic Opticks Plugin Classes. Also, I'm testing the orientation model algorithm within the example data using some IDL scripts. In more details, I set up the developing environment: up to now I decided to work using Visual Studio 2010 and Windows 64 bit OS. With this configuration I successfully compiled, run and debugged several tutorials.

As regards the my proposed SAR Processing Tools PlugIn, I would like to analyze the processing chain, that I have planned, with you. The logical steps required for the data processing are:

    Import the image data in Opticks (Using the auto import function)
    Import the DSM data in Opticks (Using the auto import function)
    Launch the PlugIn
    passing data
    retrieve metadata information
    calculating orbit parameters
    generate a regular ground grid
    interpolate DSM on the grid
    generate orthoimage
    export geotiff

In order to focus my studies, on the classes that must be used to implement my proposal, I would like to ask you some questions concerning steps 4 and 5.
I saw that for both TerraSAR-X and Radarsat 2 imagery Opticks doesn’t import all the necessary metadata information to proceed with step 6 onwards (e.g. orbit state vectors, near range). Therefore which is the best way to retrieve this kind of information (from the XML product file) and to import them into an executable plugIn? I came up with the following solution:

    take the path of xml file from the RasterElement Class
    open xml and retrive the missing metadata information
    copy this information into RasterElement metadata

Do you have better suggestion? Do you think my solution would be feasible?

In addition I accomplished all the administrative paperworks for Google and I registered a GIT account for code repository. In this context, I would like to ask you how to set up the wiki page for the project (is there an established address or format to use?).

Finally I have tried to compile Opticks SDK under Linux environment but I encountered some compile issues. Unfortunately I did not find any guide concerning Linux and Opticks. Can you provide me some documents that can help me?

Thank you so much for your kindness and support.
I look forward to hear from you.
Best regards,
Andrea