GSOC 2014

Nishith Maheshwari
Hi,
I am a computer science engineering student from IIIT Hyderabad and currently in my junior year of study and working in the Lab for Spatial Informatics here.
I have a strong background in the field of spatial informatics and am well versed with the techniques and concepts of remote sensing data analysis. Also I have good experience in programming languages like C, C++, Python, PHP.

As mentioned on the ideas page, this year's focus is on implementing features for point cloud data which I find interesting.

I am interested in the project - "Ancillary Data Support", which would add support for user-defined data in Opticks in the form of plug-in.

Please let me know how I can proceed.

Regards,
Nishith Maheshwari
Lab for Spatial Informatics
IIIT Hyderabad, India

Re: GSOC 2014

A good way to get started would be to grab the latest Opticks trunk and learn a bit about the application. You can get an installer for the latest trunk here: http://opticks.org/hudson/job/OpticksFutureDev-Nightly-Windows/202/   or checkout trunk/future and build it yourself (opticks.org has information on how to get started building the app).

Also check out the existing point cloud code. Here’s a diff for the commit that added point cloud support which can help you find the relevant portions of the code base. https://github.com/tclarke/opticks/commit/0006759cf129d208e3fd290c4ce0616f5bb5a286

Once you’ve looked this over, you’ll hopefully have a better idea of what’s involved. We can answer questions you have while you put together a proposal and we encourage you to make draft proposals available for us to review and comment on. Here’s a good example of a proposal summary : http://opticks.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=9372446

OSGEO has their own set of questions which are required for a proposal as well so be sure to check out their page http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code

Re: GSOC 2014

Nishith Maheshwari
Hi,
Thank you for the prompt response.

I'll get the latest Opticks build up and running. Also will have a look at the code base which added the Point Cloud functionality over the weekend and will get back with queries.

Thanking you.

Nishith Maheshwari

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 10:49 PM, Clarke, Trevor <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I have installed the software and the SDK on Windows 8. There were a few errors while downloading the dependencies but it turned out to be some issue related to the proxy which were handled after having a look at -
http://opticks.org/confluence/display/~tclarke/2012/04/05/HTTP+proxies+and+the+Opticks+Dependency+downloader

Right now I am familiarizing myself with the basics of creating a plug-in using the SDK. Also I am getting acquainted with the functions in the code base which added the point cloud data support.

A few queries -
When we are talking about user defined data, what exactly are we expecting the user to give as input?
Would it be an addition to already existing intensity, height and classification information or would it be something else altogether?

Nishith Maheshwari

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 11:16 PM, Nishith Maheshwari <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

That particular item is slightly mis-named as it would more properly indicated “plug-in defined data”. Each point in the point cloud data type has X, Y, Z, intensity, and classification values. The user defined data would allow for other data fields assigned per-point which could be used for algorithm outputs. For example, a plugin might calculate slope angles and store that as an additional float value per point. Another use case would be for additional input data stored in a file such as wave phase information for full-wave capturing LIDAR devices.

The intent of this task is to add support for the additional fields (likely a fixed maximum number) including efficient storage. Also adding access capability to the PointCloudAccesssor and the ability to color points by user data fields. Finally, an example plug-in or two which creates user data for demonstration and testing purposes.

Re: GSOC 2014

Nishith Maheshwari
Hi,
Please find the proposal for "Ancillary Data Support" via this link.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_SkWAQYM2Vjr_arYA331Ka3o2RUEJPPVz-l6oHOYZTI/edit?usp=sharing

Waiting for your valuable feedback.

Nishith Maheshwari

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 6:53 PM, Clarke, Trevor <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I’ve made a few comments in the google doc.

Re: GSOC 2014

dadkins
Administrator

Looks like a good first draft to me.

I like the idea of the field creator plug-in -- I would like to see an application where it is used for point cloud colorization, e.g. from a raster element.

--Dustan

I’ve made a few comments in the google doc.

Re: GSOC 2014

Nishith Maheshwari
Hi,
I have updated the proposal on the google melange website, also please find it via the following link -
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_SkWAQYM2Vjr_arYA331Ka3o2RUEJPPVz-l6oHOYZTI/edit?usp=sharing

Looking forward for feedback and comments.

Regards,
Nishith Maheshwari