Crash when exporting views larger than the screen

Crash when exporting views larger than the screen

John Tobe

We have a plugin that creates a lot of products by changing the displayed bands on a spatial data view, adjusting the histogram and then creating a product view with a template applied.  We then call the jpeg exporter and specify the width and height of the original view as we want the resulting image to be at the same resolution.  Doing this results in a black border around the template in the resulting image, so to remove that I tried resizing the product view to be the desired width and height and removed the arguments from the call to the exporter.  This results in a product without the black border, but when we run this in a loop for 30 products, Opticks crashes with various memory error messages. Usually after around 11 or 12 products are created.  Are there any known issues with exporting images of views larger than the screen resolution? If I do the same thing but resize the view to a quarter of the width and height it runs fine.  It seems like there’s possibly a bug with memory overflows? Maybe it’s a qt thing or a bad driver on my machine or something.  Is there a better way to get rid of the border when exporting product views?

Re: Crash when exporting views larger than the screen

This will not work on some video cards if your output size is larger than your screen resolution (clipping will occur outside the framebuffer). I’m not aware of any issues if your target size is smaller than screen resolution. You can submit a bug if you would like.

[...]

Eureka! I added code to shrink the window back to its original size after exporting the image and now it works fine.  I had left it alone after resizing because we’re simply closing the window after exporting the image and then moving on to the next product, but I decided to try it since I could create individual images over and over just fine with the same code I had added for individual products.

John Tobe

[...]

Er, back to the drawing board, sadly.  That worked with one template but I tried a different one and it crashed after 35 products.

[...]

dadkins
Administrator

“Opticks crashes with various memory error messages.”

Is your machine running out of memory? This could be a result of a failing malloc/new call.

[...]

No, I’m at 4GB out of 8GB when it crashes.  Windows would bring up messages about my computer running out of memory despite there being 4GB left however.  The exact error will change depending on the dataset resolution, template used, etc.